Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Really Grinds My Gears - 1

You know what really grinds my gears, the lady on the subway.

You know the one I'm talking about, the one who makes room to read the paper while the rest of us are struggling to find a handle or bar to hold on to. What's really important in that daily free paper anyways? Was it so urgent to find out how Angelina's twins are, or that it's raining. Could you not have waited until you got to the office to find this out? I mean, you already know it's raining outside. Instead, you just stand there in the middle of a crowded subway train rapidly flipping through the pages of this massive paper. It's OK that I have some severe paper cuts on my upper arm from you and your paper, because now you know that Angelina's twin girls might be fraternal. In the time it took you to flip through that entire paper, you couldn't have possibly read anything else.
It's a good thing that those two seats became available, you and your paper need them. Don't feel shy, you go ahead and take both seats. Who knows what damage could happen to your legs from standing on them for ONE EXTRA STOP.

Woman, if I see you tomorrow I'll be sure to tell you the overnight gossip as I roll up your paper and smack you around.

And that's what really grinds my gears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My personal hate is the old ladies (which it generally is) that get the same bus or streetcar every day, yet still manage to hold up the queue as they fumble about in their purse for the right change.

It's the same EFFIN' price that it was yesterday, you haggard old dimwit! And Heaven forbid if the prices should change, you'll get at least 2-3 months notice. If you ever take your head out your purse you might just see it coming.

Now get out of my way!!!

Anonymous said...

Surely if the price changes -- she'll have read it in the newspaper on the ride the day before ;-)

We don't have subways here...actually, we don't even have public buses in the city I live in (redneckville)...but the ones that read the paper while they drive are even scarier!

My peeve is the person who reads the sign that says the lane they're in is closing, but they continue to speed along. Then they expect everyone who comprehended the meaning of that sign to stop their own vehicle just to make room for that illiterate, inconsiderate idiot to merge -- you can patiently wait your turn if I'm anywhere nearby...maybe you'll pay attention to the signs next time like the rest of us!!!