Thursday, November 6, 2008

What Really Grinds My Gears - 5

You know what really grinds my gears - trick-or-treaters.

This Halloween I had the pleasure of handing out candy to all the young kiddies. See now, I don't care how old you are, if you dress up in costume and you come knocking on my door then you get candy. This year I had a group of kids who were certainly of trick-or-treating age but couldn't be arsed to dress in costume. They come to my door and say "trick-or-treat" and I say "what are you supposed to be?"

They just smirk and shrug and pull the "I don't know." Well I was nice and said "next year you come in costume or you get nothing at all. It's not fair to the other kids."

Then there are the little girls that come dressed up in costume and say "trick-or-treat" as they open their bag. I put candy in, and they close that bag and open a second bag. They don't even say trick-or-treat they just expect you to put more candy in. I say "what's this?" and they look at me as if I should already know "this is for my brother" ... "where is your brother?" and they point to their mother at the end of the driveway holding a stroller.

Well - I'm not so nice anymore and all my patience is lost - "if your brother can't walk up here and get the candy himself, then he's certainly not old enough to eat the candy. If you're so concerned then be a good sister and share YOUR candy."

I was surprised how many kids pulled this gag.

I also had a man come to the door with his little baby who was just old enough to sit up, but probably not old enough to even crawl. The man said "trick or treat" and you know what... his baby was dressed in a little Winnie-the-Pooh costume. I don't care who eats the candy really, that man dressed his kid and took the time to walk him door to door, he gets candy! It's not like he stood at the bottom of the driveway and sent some kid up to the door.

Now this next one didn't happen to me, thankfully, but I was terribly appalled and thought it necessary to go in this edition of "grinds my gears."

The three ladies who brought their kids trick-or-treating. The kids were in costume, they were polite, they got the candy. Before the door was closed, the LADIES put their foot in the door and push their way in. They each have a bag of their own and they are begging for candy in a foreign language. They were rude and aggressive and wouldn't stop until all the candy was depleted.

Honestly, ladies, uncostumed kids, and kids with baby brothers - it's people like YOU who ruin the holiday for everyone else. Next year, I'll be more prepared for people like you and I'll keep bags of goodies that smell suspiciously like dog poop. Ya, I DARE you to come to my door!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So THAT's where all my chocolate went - not happy. ;-)